I’m thinking about joining a gym again. I had a membership a few years ago and loved but but after getting pregnant with my third I quit going and ultimately didn’t renew my membership. Now I’m feeling the itch to get serious about getting in shape again so joining a gym again seems like the obvious choice. Here is my pros and cons list:
- This is a big one for me. It is very difficult to sneak a workout in when you have multiple little ones crawling on you all day. Plus it would just be nice to have a little break for myself each day.
- You can comfortably workout in any weather.
- All the equipment you could ever need.
- Last time around I followed the Jamie Eason’s Live Fit plan and LOVED it. It centers around weight training but I happen to be one of those weirdos who love cardio so I ended up adding a treadmill session at the end of my workouts. It was GREAT.
- Exercise classes of all kinds for variety.
- Warding off depression. (See: my post from yesterday.)
- The expense.
- Mostly I worry about wasting money by not using it especially if my kids get sick and we can’t go. (See next issue)
- Kids potentially getting sick more.
- It’s a little different this time because my oldest is in elementary school and MM is in preschool but the first time around my kids got sick A LOT. It’s no fun to have sick kids but them being sick also meant that we couldn’t go to the gym which made me feel like we were wasting our money.
- You have to drive there.
- I think this one is mitigated by the fact that I am basically driving to my childcare but it’s still a fact that it’s not completely convenient to have to drive across town to workout.
So what do you think? Like I said, I’m leaning toward joining but I’d love to hear your feelings on the matter. Do you have a gym membership? Why or why not? Is it worth it?